Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Bear was a doll named Sister Bell....



Hello!

I was thinking about his whole kid attachment to special objects, toys, blankets, things they love.  Someone asked me if I had something special, I actually had two; my blanket that I remember was soft and warm, and a special doll named Sister Bell!

For those of you who are close to my age (not quite old as dirt....yet) there were two dolls that I remember causing a fuss... the "it" items to have.  One was a really beautiful doll called Chatty Kathy, and the other was a cloth doll with a porcelain head named Sister Bell... I think the head was porcelain, maybe it was harder plastic.  I really wanted the one named Sister Bell for Christmas.  Both dolls were too cool for their time... late 1950's early 1960's, because they talked!  

A few of my friends had Chatty Kathy... she was prettier than Sister Bell, but I did not think she was as cool and as cuddly... Chatty Kathy was all plastic, the kind with the natural sitting position of the legs straight out!  Sister Bell had great big blue eyes and a big smile.  I liked her yellow yarn hair and loved pulling on her pony tail when I was falling asleep... we would have chatted a lot before that, and my Mom may have asked me to stop talking.  I remember that I never felt alone when she and I were together... and that was the best part.

Anne, Max's Mom, had a great big teddy bear that she called "B-Bear" and a blanket that she called her "bunny blanket."   Bill and I would haul this big bear around when we traveled.. he was the kind that you win at fairs.  The irony of the whole bear situation, was that my brother had won him for my husband's sister when they dated a brief time in high school.  Bear had lived at my in-laws house and Anne fell in love with him on one visit.  He still lives on Anne's bed in our house in Libertyville.   Bear is now pretty bald, because what Anne used to do while she was falling asleep was pull all the fuzzy hair out of him!

Megan, our youngest daughter, had a crochet blanket that she used to love to stick her fingers and toes in, and then cover her whole little self up... I guess she used the toes and fingers for anchors!  The blanket, although different in size now, because my husband helped Megan pull a loose string on it and made a big hole, still lives on... at her new apartment in New York.

Our son, Bill, had a blanket too... but the thing he loved most was pacifiers... he would carry anywhere from 2-4 of them around with him, and got really good at talking while he still had one in his mouth to suck on... just in case!  I remember going on a business trip with my husband and when we got back, my Mom had decided that the "binkies" had to go and threw them out.... I think Bill was upset for quite a while!

So, the point here is that when I was writing Max and Bear, and noticing how much Max loved Bear, I thought about the comfort and security that a child gains from their own special "lovey" whatever that may be.  I remembered my very own dear Sister Bell with a smile and thought about my own children, and the comfort and love they all received from the special items they were attached to. It's a good thing... feeling loved and feeling comforted!

You know, maybe if we were allowed to carry something comforting around with us as adults, we might all be less neurotic!

Just a thought.....

Until next time,

Pam




No comments:

Post a Comment