Friday, August 21, 2015

The Waiting Game….

I was having coffee with a good friend of mine yesterday.
We chatted about a lot of things, as we always do, and broached the topic of “Waiting”.
Now waiting, as a word, is not a bad thing…it’s part of life, but we were talking about it as something Moms do… a lot.
First, you wait nine months for the baby to arrive.  Then you wait for the first smile, the first time your baby rolls over, the first time they crawl, the first time they stand up, the first day of school...
You get the gist!
This whole waiting thing is not particular just to Moms, but for the sake of this conversation, I am being female centric… and talking about Moms.
To be honest, I was complaining to my friend… she understood.
Throughout my life, to this point, I have spent countless hours waiting for other people to do whatever it is they need to do, and then doing whatever it was I needed to do.
Now in life we can’t always get what we want, I know that.  There’s even a pretty famous song refrain to that effect from the Rolling Stones.
But… sometimes we women need to forget all that waiting and take what we need!
Right now, as I sit in Starbucks in my little town, I am inundated with young girls, probably around 11-13, and they are all waiting.
They are waiting for the others, or the leaders in the group to tell them what the plan is and where they are going…hmmmmm
Maybe this waiting for others thing is taught to women at a young age… maybe it’s socialized into us!
As my friend and I were debating yesterday, we decided that waiting for everyone else was making us crabby.
We don’t want to wait for others anymore. 
We want to do what we want, when we want, and no offense intended to anyone else, we’re just over it!
Maybe girls are taught from the very beginning to be nice, to defer to others, to take a back seat…
Being a nice person is not a bad quality… it just can’t come at the price of waiting for everyone else first…
I think my friend and I are going to practice balance… we don’t want to be nasty, just maybe a little less nice.
Maybe we’ll make a slogan or something that says…
“Wait no more!  Take what you need, be bold!”
Just a thought…

Until next time,
Pam







No comments:

Post a Comment