Thursday, August 6, 2015

Superwoman…Watch out for Kryptonite...

I have a story to tell.
Once upon a time, there was a lovely young woman who became a Mom.
She was thrilled, delighted, and yes, just a little bit scared.
Her husband was a wonderful support.  He went to the proper child birthing classes with her, and helped her immensely though labor and delivery.
After the baby was born they were thrilled, delighted, exhilarated even.
Then, they took the baby home.
This sequence of events happened three times.
Of course this story is about me.
Before children, aka known as BC, but not in the true Biblical sense, I was a teacher.
I left the house every day to go to school.  I had a title, a job description.  I was my own person.
Teacher:  One given the responsibility to help instill knowledge in young children’s minds.
After having spent time with many children, other people’s children, I really thought I knew what to do.
How to be a superwoman, a Mom who did everything right!  After all, I had had years of practice with kids, and years of study.
I had taken psychology, philosophy, child development, and many methods courses, on how to help educate and mold young minds.
There was one class missing, though, one I did not take or even know to look for…
“HOW TO DO A GOOD JOB AS A MOM, AND NOT LOOSE YOURSELF IN THE PROCESS.”
I am sharing this story because I think many women are not informed about the above course, or even know to look for it.
The messages we hear from many sources, suggest that women can have it all.
We can be great Moms, great wives, great employees, great everything… and still have time for ourselves.
It’s simply a big lie.
You have to, and I repeat, HAVE to take care of yourself.  No one else will give you permission to do that.  You, you alone are the one to do that.
You need to do that.
When I was 35, after taking care of everyone, trying always, to make life nice for my family, I was lost.
I forgot who I was, did not even know where to look for her.  Somewhere along the way, subtly, yet surely, I had slipped away.
Ok… of course not in the physical sense, but I needed help to rediscover who I was.
I saw a wonderful therapist for a year, took a great antidepressant (ironically the drug was called Pamelor) and got better.
I found me.
So, my story is actually a cautionary tale.  Watch out for Kryptonite.
Care for yourself as well, if not better than you care for others
The saying, “If Mama ain’t happy nobody is” is true.
Take good care of you.
YOU matter!
Until next time,
Pam









No comments:

Post a Comment