Sunday, August 2, 2015

Kids…always watch what we do…

I was brainstorming ideas for writing blogs with my partner (aka my husband) while we were driving.
Wanting to figure out what to write, and what could be good to read, two different things.
So, as we were driving I asked him for some thoughts.  My brain can be devoid of ideas sometimes.  Imagine that!
I credit him with this week’s post.
Once you have grown children, YOU actually get to decide what you want to do next… and that can be daunting!
I have always told my kids that they can do, and be anything they want.  I never wanted, and still don’t, want them to design their lives on paths others chose or choose for them.
After giving all that great advice, I figured that I should practice what I was preaching…. Follow your dreams…take risks… find your own way… all that kind of stuff!
So, almost two years ago, I did just that.
I wrote a Children’s Picture book.  
Writing a children’s book was something that had I thought about for a long time.  I had talked about doing it, dreamed about doing it, fretted about doing it… and then just did it!
Bam… a book!  It has my name on it, someone else can buy it, or get it at a library, or download it onto their e-reader.
What a rush it was holding my book in my hands!
Doing something new is always hard.  You have to step outside of your comfort zone, and risk. 
You open up your vulnerable side, and expose the soft underbelly that only you know is there.
Yet, I have to say that after doing just that, the reward is pretty great.
No, not everyone will like my book.  It’s not on the bestseller list…yet… but it could be…
The point is though, that by taking a chance, on myself and for myself, I was doing what I have spent my life preaching to my kids.
By risking, by evolving, by growing, I hope to let my adult kids see that I am not all talk.  My words and actions match… I put my money where my mouth is… all that cliché stuff.
How to be their Mom, a person who attempts to demonstrate how to believe in yourself and take a chance!
Because, after all, you just never know what and who you can be unless you try, so why not try?
Your kids are watching, always.
Even when they no longer need us to tie their shoes, they still watch how we walk in ours.
Until next time,
Pam


No comments:

Post a Comment