Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Series of Parenting Faux Pas


Last week I wrote about getting some things right in my parenting journey. 

It felt pretty good to tell that story. This week, well…

Throughout my parenting journey (and a journey it is—you never reach the final destination, it just changes shape along the way), I have made some mistakes.

I tried to be mindful of treating our kids equally.  Each one had the same chance to try sports they were interested in, classes they wanted to attend, and interests they wanted to pursue.

I also had an equal number of photos of each of them, as well as a display of their awards and accomplishments.  Still do.

No favorite kid… all equally represented.

So, it’s only fitting that they all got to participate in these adventures while growing up.

As a busy mom of three kids, I know whether you work outside of your home, or at home, scheduling is a mammoth task.  

I prided myself on keeping the ship upright and running.  Always picking up, dropping off, and getting everyone where they needed to be in a timely manner.

That is, until I forgot each of them.

I can’t remember where they each got left, but left they were.

All three incidents were rectified with someone calling me. If the kids were in grade school, as I think they were, it went something like this…

“Mom, where are you?”

To which I replied, “UH… sorry, on my way!”  A lame response, and being the smart kids they were, they knew the truth.

Gratefully, I only did this once to each of them.

Again, all equally represented.

The next episode is one that I think they can all recall.

It had to be winter, it had to be near dinner time, and it most likely happened while my husband was out of town.

We were, all four of us, in the local supermarket parking lot.

On the ride over, everyone had been doing the old “She’s touching me/He’s touching me; stop it! MOM!”

As we got out of the car, I lost it.

Standing right in the middle of the parking lot, I yelled something really intelligent like, “SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP… all of you!”

A woman, who was going to her car with a full cart of groceries, stopped and gawked… open-mouthed, if I remember right.

I thought to myself, hmm… maybe she’s going to call the Department of Children and Family Services. Before she could, the four of us got ourselves together and went into the store.

There you have it—no one’s perfect… just keep trying!
Until next time,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment