Monday, July 15, 2013

You forget the way it was...

Ok...

So I am sitting in our New York apartment waiting for the man who told me he would be here, to install an air conditioner.  He has called and said he was coming...yet I am getting suspect of his time frames...

So, as I am sitting here, and the reason we even have an apartment in New York, is because we now have a grandson, I decided to write. What a delight it is to have a new member of the family.  I am just in the beginning phases of figuring this new role out. Because we have raised 3 grown children,  thought it would mean that I know something, but I know nothing about being a grammie, except that I want to do it right and well.  I plan to keep working on that.

Yesterday, we were invited to go to brunch at one of our daughter's friend's home.  They have a new baby, it is their second.  As we were sitting and conversing the new Mom  commented on how hard it was to now have two kids.  The jump from one to two was monumental and exponential, and she really is thinking hard about how not to mess them up.  She has been struggling with the notion that she wants to do this whole parenting thing differently than her parents did.  She complimented my husband and myself on how well she thinks we did, and I was honored.  Yet, I told her it was all done with smoke and mirrors..!  Actually, I did not say that.  What I did say was that we tried to be mindful and adjust and evolve with each child.  I also told her that it's ok to not want to repeat the things that your parents did wrong, or wrong at least to you.   I told her to be mindful daily, as best you can, and think about what you want your kids to be.

I think Bill and I have done a pretty good job.  I told her she would too, and to trust herself and adjust accordingly.  The goal is to help each child become who they are suppose to be, not what we think they should be.  If you keep thinking about that, I think it usually works out pretty well!

If that does not work, I told her I shared with my 3 kids that I had really tried to do the best I could for them, and that if they needed any help to please find a good therapist...



Until next time!

Pam


1 comment: